National Development and Reform Commission
The functions of NDRC are:
- To formulate and implement strategies of national economic and social development, annual plans, medium and long-term development plans; to coordinate economic and social development; to carry out research and analysis on domestic and international economic situation; to put forward targets and policies concerning the development of the national economy, the regulation of the overall price level and the optimization of major economic structures, and to make recommendations on the employment of various economic instruments and policies; to submit the plan for national economic and social development to the National People's Congress on behalf of the State Council.
- To monitor macroeconomic and social development trend and provide forecast， warning and information guidance; to study important issues concerning macroeconomic performance, aggregate balance, national economic security and overall industrial security and put forward policy recommendations on macroeconomic management; to coordinate and address major issues in economic operation and adjust economic performance; to take charge in organizing the emergent dispatch and coordinating the transport of important goods and materials.
- To summarize and analyze fiscal and financial situation, participate in the formulation of fiscal, monetary and land policies, and formulate and implement price policies; to analyze the effects of implementing fiscal, financial and land policies and supervise and inspect the implementation of price policies; to set and adjust the prices of important commodities that are regulated by the state and important tariffs and charges and according to relevant legislations investigate and deal with price monopoly and activities that breaches the price regulations; to control and monitor the total size of China's foreign debts, optimize its mix, and promote the balance of international payments.
- To direct, promote and coordinate the restructuring of economic system; to study major issues concerning the restructuring of economic systems and opening up to the outside world; to formulate plans for the comprehensive restructuring of economic systems, coordinate plans for dedicated economic restructuring and coordinate jointly with other agencies important dedicated economic restructuring plans; to guide pilot projects of economic system restructuring and work in the experimental reform zones.
- To plan the layout of key construction projects and productivity; to formulate regulatory targets, policies and measures concerning the total size and structure of fixed asset investment in the whole society; to arrange and coordinate dedicated plans that involve central government investment and key construction projects in accordance with balanced needs; to arrange fiscal expenditure for economic construction; to approve, authorize, and review key construction projects, foreign-funded key projects, key investment projects for overseas resources development, and investment projects utilizing large amount of foreign exchange as mandated by the State Council; to guide and supervise the utilization of foreign loans in construction projects; to guide private investment; to study and put forward strategies and plans for foreign capital utilization and overseas investment, as well as targets and policies concerning aggregate balance and structural optimization; to organize inspection for key construction projects; to guide the development of engineering consulting industry.
- To push forward strategic economic restructuring; to organize the formulation of comprehensive industrial policies, coordinate key issues in the development of primary, secondary and tertiary industries as well as balance and coordinate industrial development with relevant plans, major policies and plans for the national economic and social development; to coordinate major issues in agricultural and rural economic and social development; to formulate strategies and major policies for development of service industry together with other ministries; to formulate strategies and plans for modern logistics development; to formulate strategies, plans and major policies for the development of high-tech industries and advance of industrial technologies; to coordinate and address major issues concerning dissemination and application of key technical equipment.
- To organize the compilation of plans for major functioning zones, coordinate the implementation of these plans and carry out monitoring and assessment; to formulate strategies, plans and major policies for promoting the coordinated development of regional economy, development of western region, revitalization of northeastern region and other old industrial bases, and rise of central region of China; to study and put forward development strategies and major policies concerning urbanization; to guide and coordinate regional economic cooperation.
- To maintain the aggregate balance and overall control of important commodities; to formulate plans for the overall volume of import and export of important agricultural products, industrial products and raw materials, supervise the implementation of these plans and adjust them in accordance with the performance of the national economy; to formulate plans for the state reserve of strategic materials and carry out collection, utilization, rotation and management of these materials; to manage the state reserve of grain, cotton and sugar, etc. together with other relevant ministries.
- To coordinate social development policies with national economic development policies; to organize the formulation of strategies, overall plans and annual plans of social development; to participate in the formulation of development policies with regard to population and family planning, science and technology, education, culture, health and civil administration and promote social undertaking construction; to study and put forward policies and suggestions of increasing employment, adjusting income distribution and improving the coordinated development of social security and economic development; to coordinate the solution of major issues and policies in the development and reform of social undertakings.
- To promote the strategy of sustainable development; to undertake comprehensive coordination of energy saving and emission reduction; to organize the formulation and coordinate the implementation of plans and policy measures for recycling economy, national energy and resource conservation and comprehensive utilization; to participate in the formulation of plans for ecological improvement and environmental protection; to coordinate the solution of major issues concerning ecological building, energy and resource conservation and comprehensive utilization; to coordinate relevant work concerning environment-friendly industries and clean production promotion.
- To organize the formulation of key strategies, plans and policies in addressing climate change; to take the lead with related ministries in attending international negotiations of climate change; to undertake relevant work in regard to the fulfillment of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change at national level.
- To draft relevant laws and regulations concerning national economic and social development, economic system restructuring and opening up to the outside world and formulate regulations; to guide and coordinate tendering in accordance with regulations.
- To organize and formulate plans for national economic mobilization, study the relations of national economic mobilization with national economy and with national defense, coordinate related major issues, organize the implementation of related work of national economic mobilization.
- To undertake day-to-day affairs of the State Defense Mobilization Commission, the Leading Group Office for Western Region Development of the State Council, the Leading Group Office for Revitalizing Northeast China and Other Old Industrial Bases of the State Council and the National Leading Group Office for Climate Change, Energy Conservation and Emission Reduction.
- To undertake other tasks assigned by the State Council.
In accordance with relevant regulations of the State Council, the NDRC is also responsible for the administration of the State Grain Administration and the National Energy Administration.
Department of Employment and Income Distribution, National Development and Reform Commission NDRC
The department of Employment and Income Distribution is responsible for comprehensively analyzing the situation of employment and human resources, income distribution and social security; putting forward strategies and policy suggestions that encourage employment, adjust income distribution, and improve coordinated development of social security and economy; pushing forward related structural reforms; and coordinating the solutions to related key issues.
- (I) To coordinate studies on employment, reinforce researches and identification of relevant trends, participate in drafting and coordinating planning and annual plans for employment and the development of human resources, conduct researches and put forward policies of employment promotion, vocational and technical training, and provide guidance for and push forward the development of employment service system and human resources market.
(II) To conduct comprehensive analyses of income distribution, organize and participate in work related to the reform of income distribution system, and put forward macroscopic policy suggestions that improve the distribution structure and adjust income distribution.
(III) To analyze the operation of social security framework, put forward development planning and policies that improve social security system and enhance social security framework, and provide guidance for and push forward the development of social security service system.
(IV) To make integrated efforts to push forward the reform of income distribution system, organize and participate in drafting relevant programs for employment and reform of social security system, push forward and participate in related pilot work, and coordinate the solutions to relevant key issues.
(V) To participate in drafting laws and regulations on employment, income distribution and social security.
The International Cooperation Center (ICC) of the National Development and Reform Commission NDRC
Established in 1993, the International Cooperation Center (ICC) of the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) is a public institution directly subordinated to NDRC.
Its main tasks include: to implement cooperation projects between NDRC and international organizations, foreign governments and enterprises, or other foreign entities; to implement and manage bilateral negotiation and cooperation mechanism between NDRC and foreign government; to organize international communication between governments or private enterprises; to carry out studies on China’s policies of opening-up and outbound investment; to provide planning and policy consultation to governments and enterprises at home and abroad; to undertake NDRC’s foreign affairs activities and services; to carry out the procedures of overseas study, training and visit; to organize international conferences of various kinds; to participate in the establishment of economic entities relating to consultation and event organization. ICC is a participant of NDRC International Cooperation Joint Conference, and a member of the National “Belt and Road Initiative” Leading Group Office.